Saturday, April 01, 2006
:: Univ of Maryland ::
I visited University of Maryland (UMD) during March 31 - Arpil 1, 2006. Its CS department is ranked at the 11th (almost top ten, huh?), and the HCI Lab (HCI = Human-Computer Interactions) is among the top 5! (i mean five, not five factorial :P)

The university is very close to Washington, DC (about 45 minutes by Metro Train from Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport).

Inside the terminal.

A view from the Metro station. It costs $3.55 to get to UMD/College Park station.

Here I am at UMD.

The CS buildings. The pathway reminds me of the bridge between Wean and Newell-Simon Hall at CMU.

I don't know what this building is, but it looks beautiful (esp with this colorful beetle, and the cherry)

One of the HCI labs. These 25 screens are connected to 25 computers in another room, which are linked together by a fiber-optic network.

Rob (the guy in black t-shirt) was my tourguide.

UMD has a very nice sport/recreational facility. Its gym is HUGE, with an olympic-size pool. And here, the climbing thingy, isn't something we see at every university :D

There's even a sand ground for beach volley ball.

A scene like this makes me miss my high school (Episcopal High School in Alexandria, VA).

The sun dial. I don't know how to read it, though.

This is the only picture of me from this trip, taken inside the hotel room.

The geeky t-shirt. FindBugs is a tool developed at UMD, claimed to be very popular among the developers around the planet. I'll have to try it sometimes.

Most hotels around the world have the Holy Bible in guest rooms, but very few also offer the Teaching of Buddha. I admire the thoughtfulness of Quality Inn.

The plane that I took back to Pittsburgh. The seat vibrated as if it were a massage chair. I had a nice, relaxing, flight-long nap :)

UMD's 1500-acre campus from the sky.

Posted by Picasa

Comments:
มาดูแล้วนะ คนแรกเลย อิอิ nice pics na ja
 
>> The sun dial. I don't know how to read it, though.

I think you just "read" the shadow of the fixed "arm" on the dial surface a ja. As the sun moves across the sky, the shadow of the arm will rotate around accordingly.

.. umm at least that's what I think it is.

read more at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sundial
 
oh thanks, van, for your visit :)

Thanks, p'namtarn, for your wisdom :D
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?